ABD Airport: history of the airport
The official birth of the airport of Bolzano goes back to October 24, 1926 with the Royal Decree n.1994, which declares the public utility of the dispossession of pieces of land to settle and enlarge the existing structure.
In 1992 "Airport Bolzano Bozen" (ABB) was born and from which originates the present ABD Airport Bolzano Dolomiti (ABD) SpA, which after several structural interventions came to the opening of a renewed structure and at the same time scheduled flights operated by the Austrian company Tyrolean Airways start.
The intervention included the building of the new passenger terminal, the remake of the runway, the enlargement of the aprons, the building of three hanges, the control tower, the car parking, theaccess road and the instrumental procedure system.
In 1999 also the lenghtening of the runway to 1.400 meters has been concluded and the completion of the system which allows night flights with related flight aids, allowing the operativity of the runway to aircrafts with a capacity up to 70 passengers.
In 2005 the certification iter has been concluded and ENAC issued for ABD Airport SpA the Airport certificate.
ABD is the entity to which it’s entrusted with the task of administering and managing the infrastructure and the airport installations (excluding aids to air navigation and facilities owned by third parties) as well as to ensure the presence of ground handling services, to maintain the safety and efficiency of the airport system, as well as ensuring the adaptation of the traffic development, of the legislation and the needs of its customers.
Since 2009, ABD is an INHOUSE company of the Autonomous Province of Bolzano.
In 2010 begin the works of expanded the terminal - with expected completion in April 2011.
Since August 2010, is operating the photovoltaic system composed of a commercial part and asperimental part with a total production of 724 kWp. This system, funded with a program EFRE is one of the "studio parks" the largest in Europe.